Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Wairarapa Loop

I've been on annual leave this week, so thought it was time I took a break from the home chores and took the horse out for some fresh air.

The weather wasn't looking the greatest but the forcast was telling me it was going to be ok. So I set off about 9am heading south, a quick fuel stop at Shannon then it was off again and out onto State Highway 1. All the while the weather seemed to be looking wet further south but once past Otaki things started to improve.

Took the Paekakariki Hill Road then over the Haywards hill to Lower Hut. Then left and up and over the Rimutaka's. This was the first time I've done this hill with a dry road so I could have a good crack at it without having to worry about a slippery road.

Called in at the bike friendly Wild Oats Cafe in Carterton for lunch. They even have a free visor washing station set up.

After lunch I made my way back to Palmy via Mangamaire and the Pahiatua track. Had to negotiate a bit of rain just past Eketahuna but nothing too bad.

Back in Palmy by 1:30pm not sure of the distance about 300k's maybe a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment