Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ridin the back roads

Well the sun was blazing and it was my day off, so I dragged the horse out of the shed and off we went.

I had a planned route in my head but wasn't sure if I would do it all. I was out the door and off at about 9am. First stop was Ashurst for gas. Then it was off up the Pohingina valley. It was still cool so I was taking it easy on some of the shadey patches and there was the usual gravel and general rubbish you tend to find on these back roads.

I eventually hit Apiti and headed back onto the main road just north of Kimbolton, here I went right and headed north through Rangiwahia. Just before I came out onto Highway 1 I turned right onto an unknown road the said alternate route to Taihape so it was worth a look. It was a good open road the headed back towards the hills for awhile before crossing the Rangatikei river and heading beak to highway 1 coming out just south of Utiku.

I pushed on to Waiouru where 2.5hours after leaving home I pulled up for some lunch.

Then it was off to Ohakune and to Wanganui via the Paraparas. When I got to Wanganui I had done 305k's so it was time for more petrol.

After a quick pit stop it was off up Drurie Hill and home via Fordell and Bulls.

Another 2.5hours after leaving Ohakune I was home.

419km's for the day and more practice for the Grand Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment