Wednesday, January 01, 2014

2013 Highlights

I thought that I'd start off 2014 with a blog of my highlights from 2013.  How's about one per month:

January

Yes I got to ride a manned missile but...


...January's absolute highlight was going to Warbirds over the Wairarapa and seeing the only flying Mosquito in the world (restored to flying condition here in NZ) putting on a fabulous show.  You have to see this aeroplane flying to truly appreciate how stunningly beautiful it is!



February

The TT2000 takes out February.  It's a great event and I'm looking forward to this year's ride already...bring it on!


March

My Top of the South Adventure on the DL is my favourite adventure from March.  It was great to visit the Marlborough Sounds and Tasman region and explore some South Island gravel.



April

Reviewing April's Blogs I didn't have a major bike excursion but I did have a memorable ride out to Castle Point with a bunch of Kiwi Biker mates.



May

May appears to have been a bit less interesting than some of the other months but at least I was able to make use of a Gap in the Weather.



June

In June the Connie got a nice ride around a few mountains but the monthly BRR ride on the DL was such a highlight that it was spread over a couple of blogs.





July

July's BRR ride rates as the highlight for July because we got such a nice day for it and got to see some really nice country.





August

The August BRR ride nearly takes top spot for August too but we couldn't have three in a row so I'll have to pick getting a new skid lid.



September

September's highlight was the change of season giving me the chance to enjoy a great day out on the Connie.




October

Getting new peepers was a personal highlight but the riding highlight was a highly anticipated trip through the Forgotten Highway - a fantastic day out on the bike!



November

The C1KC takes out November - my first decent long distance ride since the TT in February!  Always a good ride!




December

December usually brings some decent weather and there always seems to be plenty of rides and things on - so what was the highlight?  Well, the Coast to Coast was good and so was my last Adv ride of the year but I think the Boxing Day races have to take it out.  It was cool to have Guy Martin over and it's always fun to see the maniacs tackling the cemetery circuit.




Happy New Year!  And here's to plenty of great riding in 2014 and beyond!


13 comments:

  1. Good recompilation of the year! Happy New Year to you and yours.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific month by month memories ... Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Andrew. Looks like a pretty good take on the year. You did quite well riding wise.
    We should be in Christchurch on the Friday before the TT2000. Be good to say G'Day mate in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There is a change this year to the TT in that there are North Island checkpoints as well so I'm planning on starting here on the Friday night and crossing the ditch on Saturday night. Any chance you'll still be around Chch on the Sunday night?

      Delete
    2. Ah dang it, we fly out on the Friday arvo. Looks like we will miss out by the proverbial.

      Delete
    3. Maybe, maybe not...there is a possibility that I may also be in the South Island (possible ADV ride) the weekend before. No idea what your plans are but feel free to email me if you need any info etc.

      Delete
    4. Maybe, maybe not...there is a possibility that I may also be in the South Island (possible ADV ride) the weekend before. No idea what your plans are but feel free to email me if you need any info etc.

      Delete
  4. A great review Andrew.

    It looks like life was good to you in 2013, and I hope 2014 is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers! All the best to you two too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew:

    You sure had a full year of riding and enjoying yourself. Hard to top for 2014. Hope you had a very Happy New Year too.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, looking forward to here of that new adventure you're planning.

      Delete