|Ready to get started|
Getting the wheel off is the easy bit although as the stand doesn't quite get the bike up higher enough the front mudguard needs to be removed (or nearly removed with most of the bolts removed) and the brake calipers unbolted and slipped off the discs.
Next up is breaking the bead and removing the tyre. Breaking the bead on the front tyre was approximately 1,000 (maybe 1,001) times easier than when I did the rear - I just pushed down on the sidewall (after soaping it up) with a piece of 4x2 and Bob was my uncle.
|Bead broken and ready to attack it with the spoons|
Then it was time to get the tyre off. Using my new spoons and rim protectors this was pretty easy too.
Now for the hard part...Getting the first side of the tyre over the rim wasn't too bad but when it came to getting the other on I had a few issues. What you really need is a couple of extra arms and possibly an extra leg as well - juggling three levers and keeping weight on the tyre is fairly entertaining. I also need to get myself a rubber hammer. No need to go to the gym tonight either...
But in the end it was on and my compressor soon had the bead set. I then lowered the pressure back to somewhere around where I run it and re-installed the wheel onto the bike.
|Brand spankers Conti Trail Attack|
As you can see I've gone for a less aggressive front than the E-07 that I took off. This is mainly due to price and that I'm now going to put the Vee on the market and go in search of a replacement. It looks like it'll be a good tyre on the road but not as good off. Here's what a 9,000km old E-07 (great tyres) looks like:
Even though I'm selling the Vee, I still like it a lot and am looking forward to getting a WOF for it on Saturday and going for a bit of a pootle...