Thursday, August 25, 2016

Farkle fixing

A while ago I fitted an SW-Motech GPS mount to the Tenere and while it's a cool bit of kit I couldn't quite position the GPS so that it was easy to see and did not block my view of the Tenere's information centre (that's dash to you yokels out there).


Anyway, the solution to my problem was to engage the services of my old man and nephews Alex and William to help sort it.

Alex after a quick spin to see if the wheels would fall off
The solution to the problem was to make a plate that would allow the Garmin cradle to be mounted slightly higher on the mount.  To do this we cut a piece of aluminum to size and the boys drilled 6 mounting holes in it.  Later Dad painted it and then I eventually got my hands on it to install.



As you can see, the bottom 4 holes mount the plate to the mount.  The top 4 then are used to attach the GPS cradle.  In the pics you can see all the ugly scavenged bolts I used and maybe one day I'll replace these with some nice black ones...



So does it work?  Well, of course it does!  That small "lift" has allowed me to adjust the GPS position so that it is easy to read from the seat and the gauges are not blocked.  That is, except for the very top of the rev counter but I don't really need to see the needle hitting redline - that should be fairly obvious...


So, very happy with the homemade mod and lucky to have a team of engineers to call on for complicated jobs like this one...

10 comments:

  1. Nice job on the mod.

    It is nice when a plan comes together - and works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just a little tidying up to do but works fine!

      Delete
  2. Quality staff there Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they seemed to have everything under control and kept the power tools away from me...

      Delete
  3. Good stuff Andrew! I had the plastic mount which holds my GPS fail on a ride recently - fatigue after 5+ years of use, like you, I made up a metal plate and it looks like a bought 'un. Should last forever :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have another engineer's seal of approval. Simple is good.

      Delete
  4. Perfect example of what the URAListi call a WWID moment....What Would Ivan Do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here we have "Kiwi ingenuity" and in my shed "Heath Robinson was here". You may need to look up that last one...

      Delete
  5. Awesome! Its nice when it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete