With the Concours just having celebrated a big birthday and it finally due to get some exercise it was time to give it some loving.
The first job I completed a week ago and that was easy (having done it a few times), replacing the air filter. I also had intended to dive into the big job of changing the plugs but ran into an issue with a damaged fairing bolt that I couldn't move and didn't want to totally destroy. A trip over to the old man's shed sorted that pretty quickly.
And so, on Sunday it was time to start removing tupperware (and a lot of other stuff) to go in search of the plugs.
|Nope, can't get my mitt in there yet...|
|The RHS is a bit easier and you see the donk sooner|
In the end I decided to check the bike toolkit and low and behold there was a special tool in there which has a joint in it to allow you to get it in under the frame and drop it down the plug hole. It can then be turned by a ratchet and then skinny hand (don't have one of those BTW). I tried to show how little room there is in the pictures below - tricky to get a decent picture.
|This picture appears to show more room than there actually is...|
Anyway, with a lot of perseverance and holding my tongue the right way I eventually got the first plug out and a new one in. That was a nice bit of encouragement with just three to go...
I did 3, 4, 2 and then 1 with 4 being the easiest followed by 1 and 3. Number 2 was definitely the most awkward.
Anyway, by lunchtime (I think I started just before 10) I had the plugs in and half of the bike back together. Another half an hour or so in the afternoon had the rest of the bike back together - and yes, I fired her up before putting everything back together just in case I'd made a blue.
Here's a comparison of an old #3 and its replacement. Mechanics out there (Dad) will be able to diagnose all sorts of things from the colour etc, I can't. I hope the old girl is still in good health...
|An untrained eye sees some carbon build-up...|
Maintenance not quite finished for the day, the hot oil was dropped out and replaced along with some more fresh oil for the final drive.
Now all she needs is a warrant of fitness...