Monday, December 11, 2017

2017 Coast to Coast

Saturday was the annual Coast to Coast ride which is run by the Woodville Lions to raise funds for our local rescue helicopter.  It's a run that I usually do as it's a charity I like to support - I have been on 3 different rides over the years where the chopper has helped someone out.  Not a good statistic (and I don't think it's my fault) but it is nice to know that there is fast help available when you're riding out in the wops.

I had quite a busy weekend planned so this time around I decided that I was only going to go as far as Woodville and miss out the usual trip to the beach at Akitio.

After dog walking and a few other early morning jobs I fuelled up and made my way out to Himatangi.  I was pretty early and managed to find a park next to another silver Connie.  It turned out to not be Brian but I soon ran into him just up the road a bit...


While we were waiting we got to be showered in dirt by the helicopter landing nearby and I managed to catch up with quite a few NZ Distance and even BRR riders including one (and I hope this cheers you up Chillertek) who is currently hunting for his 4th rear tyre in 6,000km...

Supercharged tyre eater and friend
By the time they gave the ride briefing there were plenty of bikes lined up and the day was getting hotter.  I had all the vents open on my gear - Adv gear rocks in hot weather!



The ride tagged onto the Himatangi Beach Xmas Parade (yes, there is such a thing) and puttered on out of the small settlement.  We then got a little more pace on and made our way across to Foxton and then Shannon.

Then we turned North and made our way towards the Pahiatua Track.  Getting nearer to the track myself and a lot of others started getting passed by all sorts of idiots intent on a fast run over the track - not sure how that went for them, what with a cop leading us an' all...

One of the more disturbing things I saw was a blue Gold Wing go past on the wrong side of the road entering a blind right hander.  You'd think the rider might care more about their kid who was riding pillion than play around like that.  Luckily they made it and had maybe 2 seconds to spare between when they pulled back in and the next car came around the corner - moron of the highest order!


I managed to keep control of my inner squid and took it pretty quietly without passing anyone.  And so did Rob on his 200hp weapon - I spotted him behind me for a while before being astounded to see him replaced in my mirrors by a Harley.  Somewhere there is a Harley riding telling a slightly unbelievable story - I wonder how fast he was going in his story?  My guess, 80-90km/h...

Anyway, we made it up over the track, dodged trucks that can't quite fit in their lane, cruised on through Balance and then puttered into Woodville where we became a part of their Xmas Parade too - great to see all the kids loving the bikes!

And after demolishing the BBQ lunch I scarpered and enjoyed a fantastic ride over a pretty deserted Saddle and down into Ashhurst and home.  Next year I'll need to check out the beach again...


I've lost a badge somewhere...

10 comments:

  1. Tell him to sell the kwaka and get a tyre conserving R1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he enjoys acceleration...

      Delete
    2. So he's on his 4th rear tyre but still the first front?

      Delete
  2. It amazes me at how some people ride and the risks they take. Glad you had a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Thomas. There have been a number of disappointing incidents on this ride over the years which annoy me given the charity the ride is aid of. Squids of all sorts on all sorts of bikes. Still worth the effort and I have my own little strategy that helps me keep out of trouble - I leave the lunch stop early and ride the more tricky back roads squid free...

      Delete
  3. That is a long line of pins you have now. Good on ya.

    Several more rear tyres than front might indicate it spends more time on its back wheel than both. Not that anyone would ever wheelie........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you know what you're talking about there...

      Delete
  4. Awesome ride for a great cause Andrew! Jennie and I financially support the Auckland and Waikato Helicopter Rescue Trusts as they both service the Coromandel. Those poor examples of riding you mention.... it seems to be a problem in most places. However, the Pink Ribbon ride in Auckland is a bit different nowadays as the cops and IAM marshall the route and the pre-ride briefing makes it quite clear that dickheads WILL be dealt too.

    Loved the tale of your mate's Kawasaki! I take it he's single? ;-).

    Have a great Christmas mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ride has marshalls as well as a cop car leading it (at least as far as Woodville) but the squids definitely come out of the woodwork for it.

      I've supported your chopper a couple of times too - got the badges to prove it of course :)

      Delete