Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Mid-week farkling

On Monday I was most impressed when a package arrived in the mail...


Nice box, what's in it?

Some sort of jig-saw puzzle...
I've been waiting for this for a while and very keen to get the Zumo mounted up on the Tenere so that I could go and get lost and then hopefully find my way home again...

Last night it was time to do the install in my cold and dark garage.  First up I had to pull bits off...

Even the dash had to be unbolted
Lucky this was the easy part.  The hard bit came next, mounting it up...

My issue was that I have the Yamaha wind deflectors fitted and they aren't really compatible with the SW-Motech bracket...Well, I was having none of that.  What I had to do was drill out the front mounting holes on the deflectors to accept the larger bolt that would go right through into the GPS bracket - scary stuff!  But, you know what?  It worked.

The next little issue was the crappy plastic (!) bolts used to screw the deflectors on.  Due to the front bolt on the deflectors being very solid it was a little hard to line up the other bolts and the stupid plastic screws got a hiding.  I lucked out and found 4 similar sized allen head bolts in my "spares".  These went in sweet as.  The plastic ones ended up somewhere else...

Bracket in place with the Garmin cradle screwed onto it
The next job was to find a route for the GPS power supply and tidy up the extra cable that wasn't required.  Then it was time to button everything up by sticking all other bits back on the bike and adjust the position of the GPS to suit my sitting position on the bike.


probably should tidy the bench up one day...
While the mount is a pretty good design, you can see from the next pictures that it is not ideal for use with the Zumo 550.  The cradle just hangs down too much.  A more modern widescreen GPS would sit a lot nicer.  This is about as good as I could get.

It's alive!


It is not quite as bad as that last photo shows.  In my normal sitting position it is just the very top line of the Tenere's screen which is a little hard to read.  The GPS is also not quite at the best angle for viewing.

However, it will do for now and I have an idea on how to get it sitting in a better position - watch this space...

8 comments:

  1. Good thing you are handy/inventive so you could figure out a way to get it mounted even if it isn't still ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handy? Inventive? Not sure if that's me...more Heath Robinson...





      Brandy, you may need to look up Heath Robinson....

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrew,
    How long have you had your Zumo - did you buy it in NZ? My old faithful 76CX is starting to get some fine lines across the display and might need to be replaced. I know that a few people who made overseas purchases have had problems installing NZ maps. I use NZ Open Source on the 76CX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NZ bought and I got really extravagant and bought lifetime maps from Garmin (get Oz maps as well). No issues with the Zumo other than the on/off button falling off one day. I was lucky in that Neil gave me his old bung Zumo and I was able to use the button off it...and some insulation tape...

      Delete
  3. Damn--it's like the bridge of the starship Enterprise... Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if I'm quite there yet Ry - have you ever seen the "bridge" on an Iron Butt Goldwing? Everything bar a fish finder...

      Delete
  4. It seems there has been a lot of mid-week farkling going on all over the world. Finally my side bags are installed after a exhaustive search on the net to find the mounting rack and bike specific brackets. But its done! Are you getting a new windshield? I am coming to believe that bike manufcturers design the bikes so you have to buy endless parts to make OEM parts fit bececause of course they would never offer their version at a decent competitive price. I would've liked the Honda bags, but they were almost $1100 - that is way too much for what essentially is two plastic wastebaskets mounted on the side of the bike. Land based money pit is what bikes are, but I'd never give it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But farkling is better than shoe shopping - right?

      Not done yet and not sure if I need a different windshield yet. Saw the pics of your bags and they look pretty good - now to read your "on tour" reports...

      Delete