Sunday, June 14, 2009

Slippery when wet

Pretty average weather this weekend but today was the pick as far as riding was concerned so Mark and I decided to hit the Rangiwahia/Vinegar Hill loop.

We left Palmy in reasonably fine weather with just the odd spit on our visors and relatively dry roads. By the time we were north of Kimbolton we started hitting wet roads. No snow this time but some quite slippery patches and even one patch of grit that must have been laid to combat ice and slow up the motorcyclists.

Leaving Rangi we started getting pretty persistent drizzle and by the time we hit Mangaweka we had been through quite a bit of rain. Heading homewards on SH1 we were pretty much in and out of the rain most of the way but still turned off to take in Vinegar Hill which ended up being in pretty good condition and a lot of fun even if wet in places.

Overall it was a great ride, certainly warmer (if wetter) than last time I went through and I had a ball regardless of the weather.

2 comments:

  1. Your right...riding in rain is not the bummer so many make it out to be! I really like it sometimes...thanks for writing about your blog, now I have to go pull out a map so I can see where these places are you are talking about...not even sure if my mental pronouciation is correct...LOL but doing my best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great ride - I've done it about twice in 3 weeks now. Map: http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Palmerston+North,+Manawatu-Wanganui&daddr=rangiwahia+to:mangaweka+to:Palmerston+North,+Manawatu-Wanganui&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=-40.081224,175.738678&sspn=0.732377,0.847321&ie=UTF8&z=10

    ReplyDelete