Monday, April 15, 2019

The Zumo returns...

So the new 595 lives on either the Tenere or the Connie, but the old 550 still goes - what to do with it?

Well, while it does get used in the car (primarily as a bluetooth speaker/mic for my phone), but I still have 3 motorcycle mounts.  And it just so happens that I have 3 bikes, one of which has no GPS - oh no!

So yep, the 550 has found its way onto the little WR.

After rummaging around in my boxes of bits and pieces I found a ram mount fitted with a u-bolt for attaching to round things.  I didn't want the GPS too in my face so rather than mount it quite close on the handlebars or cross-bar I'm trying it mounted to the bark busters.  This puts it just a little bit further forward - time will tell if it's a good spot or not.



As you can imagine, it's not that hard to fit things to the WR.  To access everything it went something like this:

  • 2 bolts to remove the seat
  • 1 bolt to remove LHS sidecover
  • 1 bolt to loosen radiator shroud so that wiring could be tucked away
  • 2 washers to stop battery connection bolts pulling through round connectors on the Zumo harness.
  • A few cable ties and some insulation tape to tidy things up.


And yes, it even works - I didn't blow anything up...


As its hot all the time, I'll need to remember to remove the GPS after every use - pretty sure my watch has a bigger battery than the WR...


Now to go and try and not get lost...

5 comments:

  1. That WR has an R1 battery in it. You'll be push starting that thing in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it does have to turn over a massive amount of reciprocating mass...

      As long as it is easier on tyres...

      Delete
  2. My GPS is hot wired to the KTM too because the technician at Boyds wired it to the wrong outlet. So far, I've remembered to switch it off! It was wired to the tail light on the Suzuki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. Hopefully it will hold up to the vibrations on the smaller bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the ram mount will need checking every now and again...

      Delete