Sunday, May 19, 2019

Mighty Mouse in the Maungatuks

Yesterday I finally had the chance to ride the little WR in the mighty Maungatuks - a place that Colin had been promising would be fun and challenging.  Hence the tyre changes earlier in the weeks before...

So, on a drizzly Saturday morning I loaded up that fabulously expensive new farkle (without dropping the bike on it and making me cry) and headed on down to meet Colin in Waikanae.



In Waikanae, the bike was unloaded and introduced to Colin's WR while we had a coffee and got ourselves sorted.

Words to live by...
From Colin's place we rode about 10km to the place where we were entering the fun zone.  Somehow I knew it was going to be fun when I noticed you had to ford a creek just to get into the car park...

Creek successfully negotiated we were quickly into it, clambering up rocky and narrow tracks where 2nd and 3rd gear were about all that was really needed.

As we climbed higher we also got to ride on some hard packed dirt and then clay...I first noticed how slippery the clay was when I saw Colin get nice and sideways climbing out of a corner.  I buttoned off a bit and changed my line only to slide the back out and into a drain...

I didn't drop it but I sure was stuck on some slippery stuff.  The clay was that hard and slippery that the rear just couldn't get any bite.  I had to left the back wheel out of the drain and then get the bike pointed back up the hill.  Yes, this does warm you up a little...There was still no grip even with the bike pointing uphill and idling in first with me walking beside it.  It wasn't until I could find some gravel/rocks that I could finally get on and try and catch up with Colin.  I eventually did up at a wee intersection in the middle of nowhere.



More zigs and zags and general brapping about got us back down into a valley and after taking a wee shortcut through some pine trees we arrived at the orange hut where my crappy camera took some crappy pics.




We had a bit of a breather there and chatted to some mountain bikers until this lot turned up.


Apparently they were the "Shiny" section of a local 4WD club.  Quite glad we met them where we did...We also found out where they were going and were happy that we wouldn't "run into" them along the way.

Next up was a few more creek crossings and rocky climbs before we got up nice and high among the power pylons.


Pathetic photo of some other bikes at a pylon opposite us...



Shortly after this we descended a very steep, rocky and rutted downhill track (think it was Zig Zag Road but really I had no idea where we were) which was reasonably hard work.  About halfway down I decided that I should stop for another photo.


Eventually I made it down to the bottom and then Colin took us bush bashing...We slipped, slid, stalled, restarted (and I think one of us even had a lie down) in the the creek below and then clambered out of it only to decide that it was only going to get tougher and turned around...

"Track" out of creek is about smack bang in the middle of the picture
Then we definitely needed a breather.

The last picture I took...
We returned back up that rocky hill (much easier going up) and then Colin lead me off again all over the place.  We often came to dead ends or to bits that started looking a bit serious but it was all an absolute barrel of fun.

One other memorable bit was where we rode 50m or so up a stream (who needs a track) and then into some pines where there were plenty of mudholes to avoid/splatter through.  Once again we rode in so far and Colin warned that it was going to get tougher...I made him feel better by chickening out...

On the way out I nearly had my own bath in the creek.  I was getting a little over confident and was charging after Colin when I slid on some rocks.  I didn't end up dropping the bike - one of the advantages of the WR over the Tenere is that it doesn't weigh 265kg+.

More exploring and another trip to the orange hutt followed as we started making our way out again.  And then we had to deal with that slippery clay slope again - this time downhill...

As I came out of that same corner where I'd had trouble on the way up, I couldn't help but notice that there was a WR and rider blocking my way...I still don't know how I didn't slide off and join Colin but it was a close thing.

Heading back into town we swapped bikes for a bit and yeah Colin's is wider with his bigger tank (I need one of those) with a much nicer seat and a gloriously rorty exhaust - hmmmm....

Anyway, what a great way to spend the day.  We did something like 95km - maybe 75km of that off road in about 4 and half hours.  Great entertainment for about 4 litres of fuel!

And yeah, I'm a little sore in places today...

Here's a wee map from my GPS track - use it at your peril...

7 comments:

  1. Great stuff Andrew! You know it is only a matter of time before you lay the bike over doing that sort of riding. In fact, it is compulsory when you do that sort of riding! Also, stay well hydrated. We had one of our pilots die from heat exhaustion while he was enduro riding here in Brisbane.
    I smell more farkles....that little WR is gonna cost you a heap! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, she's been over already and I came very close to dropping her a few times yesterday.

      I had my camel-bak on yesterday and needed plenty of sips on it - we were working hard at times and sweating up a storm!

      Yeah, there'll be more farkls - hopefully a lot cheaper...

      Delete
  2. Great report Andrew! Trouble is....... the more you write, the more tempted I am to get a WR and use it on the Coromandel tracks when I retire from IAM. Having one right now would be lovely but time is the problem :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just do it Geoff! You'll absolutely love it. Spend all day trying to get lost, plenty of exercise and really cheap fun! Although you may need a ute too...

      Delete
  3. Great to bump into you in the middle of nowhere, Colin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a small bicycle pump on my bike so I can drop tyre pressures for more grip, and it gives me an excuse to stop... and... catch... my... breath...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one too...it didn't survive this trip, the pump handle end fell out somewhere - nowhere near as good anymore...

      Delete