Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Farkle Season Part 3

When will it end?

Box collecting expert...
So the WR was supposed to be some cheap fun.  But unfortunately they even make farkles for little bikes.  And Colin and I are taking the little bikes on a wee trip shortly...

With some reasonable distances planned, the bike needs to become a long distance touring weapon.  And this means it needs fuel capacity - the standard tank is a miserable 7.6 litres.

Luckily Safari make one a wee bit bigger.



Yes, it looks massive sitting next to the original.  It's actually only 13.8L but I'm guessing I should get somewhere near 350km from it...


The install wasn't too tricky, although I really took it carefully as I wanted to get it right first time with absolutely no leaks.

One of the first jobs was to remove the fuel pump from the old tank and after fitting a wee baffle plate and hooking the lines from the lower parts of the tank to the pump pickup area.  Believe it or not, this is achieved with cable-ties...I should have taken more pics...

Another thing I should have done (read about it later on) was to shift the level sensor on the tank down a bit lower as there is plenty of fuel below the fuel pump.  When I filled the tank up, I first used the fuel from the old tank and the fuel light came on.  I then added 10L at petrol station, so there was around 3L in it already - 3 litres get you a long way.  And because the light was on straight away I still don't know how much fuel is left when the light first comes on - I guess I'll just have to go riding and find out...

New tank, old pump...

The lines suck the fuel up via vacuum.  In the above photo you can see the little plastic tee that has to be spliced into a vacuum line on the bike.  This was a bit tricky as there's not a lot of hose and squeezing the plastic fitting into the hose wasn't that easy.

Here's those plugged into the vacuum system in the tank.


With the Safari tank you lose the plastic side fairing/shrouds up front as they're replaced by the tanks "wings".  Safari also give you a little plastic fitting to fit on the LHS to cover the bits and bobs sitting there.

Bye-bye nice blue shrouds
New plastic cover in place

Radiator just hides behind the RHS wing
Then it was time to bolt the big plastic tank down.

Sexy breather tube and ultra-secure cap


Then came one of the trickier bits.  Included is a brace that goes across the front of the tank and also slots onto the frame down-tube.  It is supposed to support things when the tank is chocker with go-juice.  This was a mongrel to fit 'cause it didn't exactly line up nicely - I had to loosen off the tank and really jiggle things around.

Awkwardnessness...
Then it was time to chuck some fuel in and see what would happen...


Dig that mighty roar...

Looks good too (more pics in a later post)



Now, what's in that other box?

5 comments:

  1. You planning on riding that thing to Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I did on my DRZ was replace the seat to a Seat Concepts seat for comfort, then I replaced the stock tank with a Clarke plastic tank for better range.
    My guess the other box is a replacement for that wooden 2x4 plank they put on all dirt bikes/dual sports.

    Looking forward to reading about your trip, we always say "be safe or have fun, choose one"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my mate has a seat concepts seat but no, the other box doesn't have one in it...too damn dear.

      I think I might end up hating my plank...

      Delete
    2. .....then it is an aftermarket pipe?
      The tank looks good Andrew. I don’t get how manufacturers build these “adventure” bikes but put a tiny tank on them that barely gets you around the block.

      Delete
    3. A pipe may have to wait a while. I'm not sure if Yamaha really market the WR as an Adv bike but it will definitely do it - boxes above it's weight for sure.

      Delete