Sunday, November 03, 2013

Blue skies and curves a plenty

Yesterday was a right cracker and after I had my arm twisted ever so slightly by Brian, I joined him, Roscoe, Lloyd, Chris and Dave for a afternoon's ride out to Wimbledon and back home via Waipuk (and a few other points).

We met up in Ashhurst and cruised through the gorge before taking the usual back roads through to Dannevirke.

Not a bad day for it
Just before Dannevirke we turned off to hit the magnificent Weber Road.

Makirikiri Road
We had planned to take a new to us road through to Ormondville but firstly we had to find it...

Lloyd waiting while we decide if we're at the right turn-off
When we found the right turn-off we were very disappointed to find the road closed due to a tarmac rally - not sure why they couldn't have just let us through...

"You shall not pass! I have a hi-viz!"
With the way imperiously blocked we had no option but to continue out to Weber and pick-up Route 52 (damn it all) to Wimbledon and Waipuk.

From Weber to Wimbledon the road has suffered a lot of damage over the years and there are slumps in the road, pot holes and just plain bumpy bits of road to contend with.  This makes it a bit of a challenge but a good ride all the same.  Unfortunately there was one slight little incident that meant some of us were waiting and wondering for a bit but luckily no real harm done.

Out next little squirt was up to Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu (always like to chuck that name in).  Here's Lloyd harassing a poor old V-Strom:

From Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu (tee hee) it was just a short squirt to Porangahau and then on up to Waipuk for fuel and a drink.

Our route home mainly took us back down boring old SH2 but at Oringi I had had enough and led Lloyd and Dave on a quick detour through Jackson and Hopelands Road and then onto Woodville.

Somewhere just before the gorge my jacket sleeve blew open and a piece of my armour blew out.  I noticed the sleeve but not the armour so I was lucky that Lloyd spotted it and went back for it - good stuff.

I got home just before 6 after a nice little ride of nearly 300km - I little warm up for next Saturday's slightly longer excursion...


  1. Tuamata eh? (How does one learn to spell that one?) Glad you had a spotter to find the flying armour, I can't imagine it being easy to replace.

  2. Sunshine, puffy white clouds, and twisty roads with friends. Sounds like a great day. Good job someone rescued your armor too.

    1. Now I just gotta that armour back in the right place...

  3. I lost a knee slider whilst out on a ride last year, but it was a goner. Great ride eh?

    1. Yeah, really nice day out on some great roads!

  4. Andrew:

    I love that name . . .

    Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu (tee hee)

    almost like someone put their fingers on the wrong row of a keyboard. You must have been traveling very fast to have your armour blow out

    too bad about Weber Road . . you'll just have to go back

    Riding the Wet Coast

    1. The zip on my sleeve goes right up to the elbow and it blew right open. I tried zipping it up while riding but no go. No idea how the armour moved it's way down the sleeve and out...