Saturday, March 14, 2020

Saving seals

Nope, I haven't joined Greenpeace (although I do like the aquatic blubber bags)...

When mucking around loading the WR's up on the Dusty Butt (and yes, before the event as usual), I noticed a bit of a leak from the RHS fork seal of Mighty Mouse.  As there wasn't a heck of a lot I could do about it I chose to ignore it for the next 1,500km of pounding...

Back home and needing to do something, I decided to have a crack at it myself.  I'd hear of Seal Savers/Seal Doctors before and thought that maybe, if I was lucky enough, they might work for me.  Eventually a courier turned up with one for me and I put it on the bench and forgot about it until I spotted a video on one of the WR Facebook pages caught my eye:


In case you don't want to watch the video, the guy in it previously used a seal doctor on another bike where it did not work but then he did it on his WR and it did work.  50% strike rate then?  Oh well, I'm game.

After removing the fork guard I carefully slid the dust seal off the fork - I was a little worried about damaging either the seal or the fork so yeah, I was careful.


You can probably see a bit of crap around the dust seal but it's pretty hard to see anything wrong looking up at the fork seal itself:


Anyway, just like in the video I was careful keep things clean as I went and then snapped on the Seal Doctor.


Then it was gently up under the seal and around you go to try and remove any crap from in between the seal and the fork leg.


I did it a couple of times but as you can see didn't really get any crap out (just a little oil), again just like in the video.  Those dust seals must do a pretty good job then.


The last thing I did was use the other end of the tool to cleanout the dust seal.  Snared some crap this time around!


And then, after another good clean with a rag I refitted the dust seal and put the guard back on.  So, has it worked?  No idea yet, better go for a ride...

Obviously, I'm probably down a little on oil in that leg so I'll check for leaks again after a ride and then maybe I'll learn how to change the oil in both legs...

Crossing my fingers...

No comments:

Post a Comment