Saturday, March 07, 2020

Sight seeing

Today was a cracker of a day and as I hadn't ridden a motorcycle since Monday I needed to fix that.  I also had a hankering to check out North Range Road on Mighty Mouse.

I got away from home just after 10 and after putting a whopping 9L into the WR scrambled my way up the track (no stop-go men like on the TT) and hit the gravel after turning onto North Range Road.

A short squirt got me to a nice spot for a couple of pics looking out over Palmy.



A few minutes later I crested the rise and began the drop down into the start of the rougher sections with all the mud holes.  This time around there was a lot less water as we've not had a lot of rain lately and I didn't drown or get stuck at all.

At the gate at the bottom of the rough stuff I tried out another 4WD track going up over (and avoiding some bogs) a wee hill.  It went fairly well thought there was a very steep decent down the other side which had me taking a wee bit of extra care.

After the next section of windy and sometimes muddy track I popped back out onto the gravel road again and stopped for some more pics.








The road now was more open and I got to use all of the gears occasionally before getting to the top of the downhill section into Balance.





Whariti in the distance
As you can see from the video, I took it fairly easy going down the hill as there were a few mountain bikes and other vehicles around.


My next stop was in Woodville for a quick lunch before tackling the climb up to Whariti.  This was my first time up here on the WR and it was a blast.

On the lower parts there was a bit of decent graded gravel that was quite nice to slide around on and the little bike handled the scramble up the rougher stuff near the top with no issues.  I bet I was quicker up there on the WR than on the Ten...













Riding down off the hill, I took it quietly and just enjoyed the views out towards Woodville/Pahiatua.

At the bottom of the hill I had a decision to make - which way to go to get home?  Well, it was either seal over the Saddle or Track or return the way I'd came over North Range Road...guess which option won?






4 comments:

  1. Haha love your number plate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wind farm looked mighty impressive from the east when we rode up to Napier on our recent tour. Bet it's mind-blowing close up. You're clearly loving Mighty Mouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mouse is great, you need one!

      It's amazing how many windmills are up there now - you really get a good view of them when you drop down off Whariti.

      Delete