Thursday, April 30, 2020

Captivity Day 36

Spent some petrol money the other day.  Unfortunately, still not on petrol...

On a lark, and courtesy of some Adv Rider posts on phones as GPS devices and a Samsung special (phew, the stars were aligning to get me to spend some hard earned!), I bought a tablet.

Just like a phone, only even bigger and not a phone!
I then installed an app called OsmAnd which allows you to download open sourced maps and will also understand .gpx files from Mapsource/Basecamp.

I then copied over one of my TT2000 maps and went out to the shed to compare the tablet to the GPS.

Screen is just slightly bigger...
You'll note that I've stuck the tablet inside my tankbag.  Great place for it and I could get power to it if necessary but I'd probably smash it or it would get cooked in the sun.  If I do use it for navigation it will only be as a backup so will probably be stashed away somewhere a bit safer.

The software seems to work quite well, but I've yet to try to use it in anger.  Theoretically, it should also be able to send directions to my Sena as well.

There's a fair bit more detail available from the larger screen too:



Another thing it will be useful will to store our TT plan and the checkpoint pictures.  I can see me arranging the pictures in order and just flicking through to the next one at each checkpoint so I know what to look for with other information like distances and next fuel stop etc.

Very geeky...

4 comments:

  1. When are they going to let you kids out of your rooms? Must be going stir crazy by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure am!

      We're at level 3. A lot of people back to work. Where I am we are starting things up slowly with a minimum of people onsite and most still working from home. Playing it very cautiously.

      Delete
    2. But like us, you have F/A cases in the community. Anyone with the virus is either in hospital or quarrantine so realistically (like us) it is ok to get back to *normal* again.

      *normal now includes much more hand washing and much less nose picking*

      Delete
    3. You gonna miss nose picking?

      Delete